Advent is both the beginning of the Christian calendar year, and the season of new beginnings. This year it is celebrated for four Sundays in December leading up to Christmas. We at The Springs will be joining our brothers and sisters from around the world and throughout the ages for this journey during the Advent season. We will be following The Revised Common Lectionary for our gatherings together.
The texts that we will explore together will guide us in this season of anticipation of the birth of Christ. We will post the Advent guide here each week. The guide is intended to provide space for daily reflection on the texts which Christians around the world will hear.
- Mondays you will find the readings that will be explored on the coming Sunday during our worship gathering.
- Tuesdays there will be a brief meditation on an Old Testament text for the week.
- Wednesdays, we will explore texts from the Psalms.
- Thursdays, we will listen closely to a reading from the New Testament epistles.
- Fridays we will soak in the weekly text from the Gospels.
- Saturdays we will attempt to explore the ways in which these separate texts come together to create a beautiful mosaic which is forming and commissioning us for a redemptive life in the world.
ADVENT WEEK 1 (11/27-12/3)
A Prayer of Hope
"God of Hope, Please remind us that hope is evidence, not wishes. Fill our heart with an inner knowing, that one day all will be as you promised, and our lives are meaningful in bringing. Earth, as it is in heaven. Amen."
ADVENT WEEK 2 (12/4-12/10)
A Prayer for Peace
"God of peace, we know there is a Peace that passes understanding, yet we miss it in our craving to understand. Please comfort us and still our minds with the knowledge that You who are good see all, know all, and will one day come in your fulness to set all things right. Amen."
ADVENT WEEK 3 (12/11-12/17)
A Prayer for Joy
"God of Joy, we are never surprised when you call us to give, or love enemies, or other things so seemingly foreign to our nature. Yet, a call to a lifestyle of joy surprises us- we come to realize it, too, is often beyond our grasp. Grant that we may learn something of joy this week; remembering that we are the joy that was set before you as you begin your life in a manger. Amen."
ADVENT WEEK 4 (12/18-12/24)
A Prayer for Love
"God of Elizabeth and Mary, give us the grace to respond to each movement of your Spirit within us as Elizabeth and Mary could: with trust and willingness amidst the confusing circumstances-for love of You and the whole world. Amen."